We need water for just about everything – to clean, eat, and even dress. Being conscious of how we use water throughout our day can help us save huge amounts of water and live more sustainably. Here are some ways you can save:
1. Turn off the taps 💧
One of the easiest ways to save water in your day-to-day is by turning off the tap while you:
- Brush your teeth
- Wash your hands
- Wash your car
- Hand wash dishes
2. Single Song Showers 🚿
Limit your showers to under 6 minutes, or 1-2 songs! By taking short showers instead of taking a bath, you can save up to 25 gallons! Installing a high-efficiency shower head can save even more water. Look for the WaterSense label on your shower-head.
3. Toilets 🚽
You can save water with your toilets by:
- Purchasing a WaterSense labeled toilet
- Putting a plastic bottle filled with water in your toilet tank to reduce the amount of water used per flush (if you can’t replace higher volume toilet).
- Checking for a toilet leak by putting a few drops of food coloring into the tank. If color appears in the bowl without flushing, there’s a leak that needs repaired.
- Throw tissues and other waste in the garbage can, which doesn’t require gallons of water.
3. Laundry 🧺
You can save water while washing your clothes by:
- Re-using towels
- Running full loads
- Using size-specific cycle settings
- Upgrading to an Energy Star washing machine
4. Eat Green 🥦
Agriculture irrigation accounts for 70% of water use worldwide. What we choose to eat has huge impacts on water. Meat products have the highest water consumption per pound of any food. Save water and improve your healthy by loading up on fruits, grains, and vegetables!